16 August 2010

Psychos at Starbucks

This morning I read an article about a woman who got kicked out of an Upper West Side Starbucks after getting into an argument with employees over how to "correctly" order a coffee and a bagel.

Little did I know that I would witness another Starbucks altercation only a few hours later. Crazy how a chain that's been slinging delicious beverages for years still inspires such rage and confusion in people.

I oftentimes head to the Starbucks by my office in the Financial District for a little afternoon pick-me-up. There aren't a lot of people there at 3 or 4 p.m., so I can usually place my order, get my drink and get back to the office in about five minutes.

However, that wasn't the case today. I relayed the story of my Starbucks outing to a friend via chat. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Katherine says:
i got there and there were two foreign dudes in line having trouble ordering
and after much debate
they got a tall coffee frap and a grande coffee frap
then i ordered my thing
then this guy came in after me and ordered a tall hot chocolate
then the guys get their fraps and become ENRAGED
Katherine's Friend says:
...
Katherine says:
like, they go ballistic
they're like screaming "COFFEE FRAPPUCCINO! COFFEE FRAPPUCCINO!"
Katherine's Friend says:
lol
Katherine says:
and the barista is like "YES THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE THEY'RE RIGHT HERE"
and they get even more mad! they're like "NO! JUST COFFEE! JUST COFFEE! NO FRAPPUCCINO!"
Katherine's Friend says:
whaa
Katherine says:
and the barista's like "um, well, you ordered it wrong, or there was a miscommunication; go back up to the register"
and the dudes picked up handfuls of straws and started THROWING them at the barista
Katherine's Friend says:
omg lol
Katherine says:
and then barista's like "WHAT THE HELL DUDES" and suddenly the manager comes outta nowhere and is like "LEAVE. NOW."
meanwhile, no one has been making my drink, obvi
and then tall hot chocolate comes up to the barista and is like "WHERE IS MY DRINK NIGGA"
SERIOUSLY
and the guy was like, "um, first, don't call me that; second, clearly i haven't made it yet; third, i have to make her drink first" and gestures at me
Katherine's Friend says:
jeez
dramaa
Katherine says:
and tall hot chocolate's all "I WUZ HERE BEFORE SHE WAS" whilst pointing at me
and i was like "no you weren't"
and the barista was like "no, no you definitely weren't"
and tall hot chocolate said (and i kid you not) "DON'T PLAY ME LIKE THAT, HOMIE"
which the barista ignores
and he finishes my drink and puts it in a tray with the two coffee fraps and said "here you go. sorry for the wait."
and i was like "sorry you got assaulted! thanks for the extra drinks!" and i came back to work and gave the fraps to people in the lunchroom.
Katherine's Friend says:
poor barista
but that's awesome FREE FRAPS
Katherine says:
i know! i felt way bad for the dude.
were people that psycho when you worked at starbucks?
Katherine's Friend says:
occasionally. psycho comes in many flavors, though.
Katherine says:
mmm.
so do delicious frappuccinos.

No comments: